- Access Excellence. This well organized site features genetics and
biotechnology teaching communities, classroom activities, and
- A Primer on Molecular Genetics. This Department of Energy document,
published in 1992, provides an oveview of key genetic concepts,
as well as valuable information about the Human Genome Project.
University of Kansas Medical Center. Includes lesson plans, bibliography
of educational materials and curricula, and more.
- Glossary of Genetic Terms. Provided by the National Human Genome
- National Human Genome Research Institute Educational
information for students, teachers, and the general public.
- Genome Glossary. Provided by the Human Genome Project.
Collection of educational resources for K-12 mathematics and
science education. Includes resources on cells, genetics, evolution,
- DNA: the instruction manual of life. From The Tech Museum of Innovation in
- Genetic Science Learning Center. University of Utah partnership between
scientists and teachers. Provides teachers with genetic science
activities and hands-on experiments to illustrate how DNA, genes,
and chromosomes relate to disease, conservation, forensics, and
Cold Spring Harbor Lab's site featuring instructional activities
in DNA science.
- Diving into the Gene Pool: Ethex. Exploratorium's ethical genetic scenarios
forum. Three scenarios are presented and are available for public
comment in these areas: genetic testing for Huntington's, prenatal
testing for cystic fibrosis, and genetically engineered foods.
- Your genes, your choices: exploring the
issues raised by genetic research. On-line book by Catherine Baker. Downloadable
and bound versions are also available.
- The Hereditary Disease Foundation.
- The Arc's Human Genome Education Project. From The Arc of the United States, a
national organization on mental retardation, this page is part
of a project to develop educational materials and conduct training
relating to the ethical, legal, and social implications of genetic
knowledge and use.
- Blazing a Genetic Trail. "Families and scientists join in
seeking the flawed genes that cause disease." An on-line
publication from Howard Hughes Medical Institute. It looks like
lots of great material is here. Includes a flashy illustrated
glossary of basic genetics terms.
- Hands-on Science: Lessons and Experiments. A collection of science lessons and
activities, including some on genetics, organized by age group
or subject matter.
- ELSI in Science. The Lawrence Berkeley National Lab's
project to look at ethical, legal, and social issues that arise
from scientific research. Includes modules on Breast Cancer Screening,
Genetic Patents, Medical Databases/Privacy Rights, and more.
Suitable for middle and high school age students.
- Frank Potter's Science Gems
- Genetics on the Web. List of resources compiled by the American
Association for the Advancement of Science's Directorate for
Education and Human Resources.
- The University of Pennsylvania Center for Bioethics
- Instructional Resources in Biology (Biosciences)
- OMIM - Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man - a catalog of human genes and genetic
disorders authored and edited by Dr. Victor A. McKusick and colleagues
at Johns Hopkins and elsewhere.
last updated 02/03/03